Monday, March 01, 2010

Notes on creating an OEM XP disc for an old IBM IntelliStation

  • The computer had all the required files in C:\I386. There was also the VALUEADD folder from the XP CD.
  • C:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT contained the key needed for an OEM pre-activated (SLP) install. That's a better choice than the key on the sticker on the back, because activation not needed. Microsoft provides instructions for preserving OEM pre-activation; basically, just use that key.
  • I verified the files in C:\I386 by comparing MD5 sums with files on an XP CD. There were a few differences, but nothing suspicious. Slipstreamed hotfixes could be identified by searching for the file and its version. There was only one minor error in the files: I386\WIN9XMIG\MAPI\DLL\MKNTFRMCACHE.EXE had been renamed to MKNTFR~1.EXE.
  • SP3 can be slipstreamed onto the initial release (RTM) of XP without obvious errors, but some files won't be updated. Because of this, I first slipstreamed SP2 and then SP3. Because of widely reported problems with slipstreaming SP3 in Vista, I slipstreamed it in XP.
  • Drivers were available in C:\IBMTOOLS\DRIVERS and C:\DRIVERS. The newest drivers were available from IBM's web site, so I used those.
  • I stripped down the UNATTEND.TXT file to create WINNT.SIF file which partly automated the installation. (When installing from a CD, the file must be called WINNT.SIF.)
  • I was able to load mass storage drivers from a floppy. Setup was then able to see the hard drive. However, when copying files to the hard drive, I got a "setup cannot copy the file" error. Eventually I found that the drivers need to be present in A:\$OEM$\TEXTMODE. I wonder if this was because of WINNT.SIF options or it being OEM XP.
  • There are instructions on editing TXTSETUP.SIF to add mass storage drivers to the CD. A better way is to use WINNT.SIF and place the drivers in both \$OEM$\TEXTMODE and \I386\$OEM$\ on the CD.

No comments: